The Top 28 Super-Active EIS funds in the U.K
Try our AI Legal Assistant - it's free while in beta 🚀
Embarking on the journey of startup fundraising? Welcome! This post is your go-to resource for understanding and making use of active EIS funds in the United Kingdom.
Let’s dive straight in.
Understanding EIS Funds
EIS, or Enterprise Investment Scheme, is a venture capital fund employed for investments in eligible companies. This tax scheme motivates private investors to support innovation across the U.K, thus fueling economic growth. EIS applicants receive attractive tax reliefs when they invest in high-risk, young, or medium-sized companies.
In this article, we interchangeably apply ‘early stage’ - Seed, Series A, sometimes Pre-seed funding - and ‘late stage’ - Series B and after - to delineate funding stages.
28 Super-Active EIS funds in the U.K
Keen on gaining in-depth knowledge about authentic EIS investment funds operational in 2023? Here’s a snapshot of a few:
Broad Focus Investment Funds
- Access EIS - Invests from early stage to late stage across sectors
- Anthemis - Invests in fintech companies creating positive change. They invest at early stage and late stage
- Arie Capital - Invests in companies from various sectors from early stage to late stage
- Ascension - Invests in early-stage technology companies
- BGF - Invests in companies across sectors at early stage and late stage
- Calculus Capital - Invests in companies across sectors at early stage and late stage
- Endeavour Ventures - Invests in tech companies across sectors at every funding stage
- Mercia - Invests in tech companies across sectors from the early stage to later stages
- Praetura - Invests in companies across sectors from early stage to late stage
- SFC Capital - Invests in startups across sectors, from early to later stages
Technology and Science Focused Investment Funds
- Amadeus Capital’s early-stage EIS Fund - Invests in UK technology companies across sectors, investing early stage capital, including Pre-seed
- Force Over Mass - Invests in B2B tech companies with a focus on AI, fintech and Industry 4.0 in Europe and the UK
- Fuel Ventures - Invests in tech companies across sectors, providing early stage capital from pre-seed to Series A
- Guinness Ventures - Invests in companies in any sector, anywhere in the world, providing early-stage capital from Seed to Series A
- MMC - Invests in tech companies, with a particular focus on AI and blockchain
- SuperSeed - Invests in early-stage software companies across sectors
Impact and Sustainability Focused Investment Funds
- Better Ventures’ EIS Fund - Invests in science and technology startups in service of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. They invest Pre-seed and Seed capital and can help with follow-on funding from Series A and beyond
- Earthworm - Invests in sustainable startups creating positive social and environmental change at the early stage
- Impact Ventures - Invests in sustainable companies creating positive change
- Sustainable Ventures - Invests in tech companies that address the challenges of climate change and resource scarcity
Early Stage Investment Focused Funds
- British Design Fund - Invests in purpose-led British product businesses, focusing on early-stage companies
- Haatch - Invests in early stage companies
- Hambro Perks - Invests internationally in technology and finance companies, providing early-stage capital from Seed to Series A
- Truesight - Invests in tech companies in European and UK companies with a focus on UK and Nordic markets at early-stage
Later Stage Investment Focused Funds
- Committed Capital - Invests in post-revenue (over £1M) technology companies in the UK
- IW Capital - Invests in UK SMEs across sectors at later-stage funding rounds
- Rocket - Invests in profitable companies across sectors, usually at later stages
- SidebySide EIS Fund - Invests in more established tech companies across sectors that are generating £1-10 million in revenue
Legal Considerations with EIS Investments
Other than than NDAs and term sheets, additional legal complexity may arise from competing directly with a company in a fund’s existing portfolio. It may be best to avoid approaching those altogether.
Legals asied, approaching investors demands research anyway. Do make sure the fund aligns with your Investment Stage, Vertical and geographical location too.
Final Thoughts on EIS Investments
Despite the higher risk associated with EIS funds, they present an attractive proposition for extra funding for growth or refining an idea. However, with changes in market dynamics which have rippled deep into 2023, investors are prioritizing safer bets and startups that project a trajectory towards revenue and profitability.
Hence, your pitch may do better if you emphasize longevity over growth-at-all-costs.
As a startup founder, leveraging services like Genie AI can streamline and improve your legal processes as you navigate dense legal documents and frameworks for the first or second time.